One's decisions are always based on the perception of the current reality, sometimes based on hard facts and sometimes based on intuition or out gut feel. Updated relevant INFORMATION will ensure that the actions that follow the decisions are thorough, robust and effective, which is extremely important for SUCCESS. I have listed how to get the relevant and updated information to make us more effective.
- Seek to know the personal/professional priorities, actual status of the relevant KPIs/KRAs, decisions effecting the work/life, megatrends and news.
- Confirm that the priorities, decisions, information and news are necessary for the purpose and that they are neither excess nor partial.
- Make sure that the priorities, decisions, information and news known, are unambiguous and there is no need to recheck and reconfirm.
- Seek to understand the rationale behind the priorities, decisions, information and news known, if necessary by digging deep and going back in time to understand the developments.
- Make sure that the implications are already taken care of for the priorities, decisions, information and news known by discussing with the sources and/or by selecting the right sources.
- Should the priorities, decisions, information and news known have an adverse effect, mandatorily provide a feedback with a clear recommendation and needless to say, explicitly compliment for favourable effects.
- Pat on the back based on the positive feedback and recognitions for transparent and effective decision making resulting in sustainable actions.
- Understanding failures/success, focussing on performance consistency, monitoring the status of the actions, continuously deriving the latest estimates and steering to bridge the gaps to target and checking on the effectiveness will reinforce the importance of information.
Finally, recognising that each one of us can only influence the future and not the past is a strong motivator to start seeking the relevant and updated information regularly.